Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Moving Forward also Looking Back

I wish to send out a special Thank You to all of you,   First for being around all of this spring and Second for your many kind thoughts and prayers.  Someday this will come to an end.  But I can wait no longer,  There is garden to be picked and preserved.  It is time to make sure there is enough wood for the winter.  There needs to be some form of organization in the coop,  I must move forward.  Time waits for no one and it is not waiting for me.  The poplar trees are loosing their leaves, wonderful bedding for the ladies.  Coops must be cleaned and the manure added to the garden.  Herbs are ready to harvest.

I am so pleased the farm was able to function without me.  When we were away, we were in before night time.  This gave us the time to be with all of our animals and be sure all was well.  The garden managed to be mostly planted before things were really bad.  No, I did not spent everyday away but a day away keeps everything out of balance for several days.  I have not made it into a grocery store for over 5 weeks and I am so proud of myself.   With the help of the ladies, we had milk, the girls provided us with lots of eggs and the garden has kept our plates full of fresh veggies.   We were able to continue to bake all of our bread and make cheese.  Knowing I do a good job of planning our pantry and we able to  make it through these types of times has swollen my "BIG" head even more.

This was part of the harvest on Thursday of past week.  The fall raspberries are just starting to come in.  This was our first red noodle beans.  They are under the green yard long beans.,okra, butter beans and  assorted peppers.  Before the week was over black eyed peas were being picked. Of course there are cucumbers, tomatoes and squash.  The garden has been producing lots of veggies for us to enjoy.  Even a few to share.  Some of the plants are starting to show signs of struggle as the summer goes on, however; there will be plenty veggies for us to add to freezer and preserve.  I have been busy making wine and brandy with the berries.

The coop has been quiet, there were 2 broody hens but after several weeks of chasing them from the nest every evening I  believe I may have won this battle.  For me, it is starting to be a little too late in the season to have baby chicks.  We are collecting duck eggs once again.  The spring born ducks are starting to lay, I will be pleased to have duck eggs when I bake once again. I am starting to find large and small eggs, I am so hoping Momma Duck has healed and will be able to lay a good egg once again, but at this time I am not sure.

The ladies, are busy eating as much forge as they can find.  They have found the back door to our home and will come visiting every chance they get.  I have found a treat for them, they love cherry tomatoes.  Mr. Bootsie has been busy taking out trees to make a new area to store some of our equipment, producing lots of leaves for the ladies and wood for next winter.

By now, the family and friends have all shared and life will return to what it was before. Well not quite, there will not be telephone calls just after the sun sets leaving me a message to get down from the roosting poles and give him a call.  When the storm warnings are listed there will not be someone checking to see if all is well, But I have already learned to do without my evening calls, as sickness controlled my bubba's life, he was not able to call me as much.  Time has a wonderful way of putting all things in order for you.

My days will be filled, once again,  taking care of our flocks,planning what new ventures we will have here,  trying to figure a way to add some new animals and have Mr. Bootsie thinking it was his idea.  I have no need to make lots of jars of pickled peaches and sweet pickles.  I will make a few but not the amount I made in the past.  Each time zucchini bread was baked this year, I took Bubba some, I am so pleased he was able to enjoy some of foods he loved right up to the end.

Once again, Thank You for your many kind thoughts, I am moving forward and we shall be in full production quickly.  As i scurry out to pick the garden, my mind is already thinking about what we shall can and preserve.  Take care of yourselves and share a smile with someone just for me.  UNTIL!!!!

 ,


  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Karry Ann Thank you for everyone needs to be loved. I hope you feel the love coming your way each day and there is love from the Bootsies!!!

      Delete