Sunday, August 5, 2012

Triple Creel Farm, August 4, 2012

Another Aftershock!!  I have really been enjoying the quiet, not thinking about another earthquake or aftershock.  Well, it has happen again, Tuesday, about 12:45 a.m. I woke up and looked at the clock.  Thought I heard some grumbling and questioned myself was it thunder or the earth moving.  I went back to sleep.  Only to wake in the morning and hear there was another aftershock at 12:43 a.m. and the magnitude was 2.4,  I am beginning to think there will never be an end to the earth's plates moving here in our area.

IN THE KITCHEN

I dehydrated cantaloupe, the flavor is intense and it is a wonderful snack.  Made a batch of kosher dill pickles and I am sure this will be the last batch of pickles.  Canned tomatoes and made more tomato soup base.  I do not think I will be canning any more tomatoes this season.  I will start dehydrating the tomatoes,

Just in case you are wondering, I have my shelves in the pantry protected to try and keep the jars from falling off.  I call this my earthquake protection.

We are enjoying eggplant sandwiches.  This one of my favorite summer meals.  I bread the egg plant slices and fry,  place some prosciutto on the eggplant, slice of tomato and top with cheese.  Place under the broiler until the cheese melts.  This is a quick and easy summer meal.  I usually have a salad with them.

Pizza is becoming a staple in this house,  Greek with fresh tomatoes, green pepper, onion all sliced very thin.  Two cheeses and ripe olives.  Fresh spinach pizza with garlic and two cheeses.  We have had pizza 3 nights for dinner this week.


ON THE FARM

Progress is being made on the pasture fence, the large cedar corner posts are going in and the second post with a support between them.  We have been able to locate cedar trees close to the pasture which makes it very easy to cut and move them.  For some reason the cedars are not as heavy as other trees and the wood will last for a number of years. We were able to save some money by using the posts growing here.  All the rolls of wire are lined up under the pole barn.  We are just about there for the folks to come and help run the fence.

Rain on Friday evening and another large limb fell on a hickory tree. This one will not be firewood but it is more than I can pick up.

IN THE COOP

Sunday morning, Mr. Bootsie decided to come with me to feed the flock their brunch.  I walked into the coop only to feel hands on my waist and someone saying,  "Snake under the nesting boxes."  After the last visit from the black snake I put bird netting under the boxes and the snake was caught in the bird netting.  The girls were not really concerned about the snake.  After some time the bird netting was replaced under the boxes, girls had their brunch and things were back to normal on the farm.  The girls have refused to lay in the nesting boxes this week.  It has been an egg hunt every day, resulting in some broken eggs.

The duck run was covered, this week, Mr. Bootsie put a door in the fence connecting the two runs.  This allows the chickens to have access to the duck run and a lot of space.  With the flock increasing in size they will be needing more space to hunt and peck.

All of the girls are on the roosting pole at night time.  No more broody hens at this time.  The laying has been off this week.  I have collected only 28 eggs.  For the month of July 160 eggs were gathered.  Stopped by the  Edam farm to check out the marans and see if I could make a decision about hens and roosters,  I just am not sure they are now over 3 months old and 1 may have a rooster.  It is quite a large bird.

IN THE GARDEN

Monday morning, I was watering the garden and what has happened to my sweet potato plants.  They were beautiful last night,  Something has eaten the leaves off several of the plants.  Traps were set Monday night.

Squash bugs are everywhere.  Watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, pumpkins and squash, I as loosing plants because they have the ability to suck the life out of the plants.  They get on a leaf and it is wilted.  The only method of control is picking and I have loss this round.

I made a garlic and red pepper spray for the beetles and I can see the first application has done some good.  I did spray some of the watermelons and I think squash bugs are eating it and having more babies.

Picked green pepper and black eyed peas for the first time this week.  Blackberries are still coming in.  The late green beans are looking real good.

IN CLOSING

I sometimes feel as if I have lost the war this year, beetles, squash bugs and everything else has won.  Then I look around and see onions and garlic drying, the jars of jelly, pickles and vegetables, I must confess there is a balance.  I may not be pleased with the way things are going but I am staying busy putting up food for later.  I have been canning, dehydrating and freezing the harvest.  I know, I want a perfect world where I get plenty of everything I plant.  With the hours I have put in working the garden and now preserving the garden I am kinda glad some of the crop did not work out.  I would have loss it because I just cannot do everything.  And that leaves room for me to try to do things different next year.

Visit our little farm on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment